Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"Bonne bouff II" Icelandic Fish and Chips


Today´s meal : Iceland fish and chip.
Fish is a big part of the Icelandic Culture. Fish made Iceland.
The fish in Iceland is extremely good fresh and delicious and there is plenty of place where you can get very good fish to cook at home at a very affordable price.

Unfortunately, there is not so many places to eat where you can get very good dishes with fish. fishes were the first victims of the burrito invasion. Poor fishes.

Fortunately, there is some restaurant in town who are striking back. The one of today is one of those. fighting back.

Let me introduce you to...this place...

They serve excellent fish and chips.. but not in a greasy style... this is an organic bistro. They serve delicious fresh fish....

No greasy french fries.. they serve Icelandic small potatoes fried on a pan with herbs....all this on a bed of fresh salad and accompanied by sauce make of Skyr, an Icelandic dairy speciality.

I went there few days ago and i have to say they are getting better and better.


Virgile

6 comments:

Kris McCracken said...

Do they do fish burritos? ;)

Do Icelanders eat anything particular with their fish and chips? For example, Australians like tomato sauce, I personally like vinegar, I think that Canadians like mayonnaise (I could be wrong on that though, just that the three Canadians I know all like mayo on chips).

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I watched a TV programme a while back that took people on a whirlwind trip to learn how to make traditional dishes - to Italy for authentic pizza for examples. They took a woman to Reykjavik to see how fish and chips were made there. I can't remember the name of the restaurant though.

Virgile said...

Icelander eat cocktail sauce with french fries...This is strange but good. In this fish and chips place, they have some sauce with skyr. i took last time a stuff with basil . was very good.

Virgile said...

They do fish burritos... even salt fish burritos...Believe me .. stay away from them !

Kris McCracken said...

I'll take your word for it and give the fish burritos a miss. I would be happy to give the cocktail sauce a go with the fish and chips though.

Anonymous said...

The spelt and barley batter is great. The skyr dip was good but I like mayo based tartar for the chips the best. (I'm Canadian)